Navigation of our Site
The left-hand column provides quick access to information on specific taxes, programs, services and forms.
The centre column provides a general summary of each branch's activities as well as a direct link to the respective site and contact information.
The right-hand column provides a direct link to key topics/features.
Accomodation Services Division
Financial Institutions Regulation Branch
Financial Literacy Resource Website
Fiscal Research Division
Manitoba Securities Commission
Manitoba Tax Assistance Office
Manitoba Bureau of Statistics
Office of the Superintendent
Public Utilities Board
Treasury Board Secretariat
- Establishes financial and accounting policy in keeping with the requirements of the government and The Financial Administration Act.
- Maintains a government-wide perspective in coordinating financial management policy, and provides functional direction on matters of financial management.
- Prepares the annual Public Accounts.
- Responsible for the supervision, direction and control of the financial and accounting functions of government.
- Maintains the central accounts of the government to show the current state of the Consolidated Fund and the financial condition of the government.
- Ensures that procedures are in effect for the recording of public money payable to the Minister of Finance and that authority exists for the recording and payment of public money.
- Evaluates accounting and financial management systems throughout government.
- Maintains an internal audit system in government.
- Regulates financial institutions and cooperatives in Manitoba.
- Reviews and approves the corporate legal documents for credit unions, caisses populaires and cooperatives.
- Maintains a legal registry for credit unions, caisses populaires, cooperatives and insurance companies.
- Mediates disputes between consumers, agents, adjusters and insurance companies; as well as member disputes with their credit union, caisse populaire or cooperative.
- Authorizes trust and loan companies to operate in Manitoba.
- Licences accident and baggage insurance agents, hail insurance agents and hail insurance adjusters.
- Provides research, technical and analytical support in respect of national and provincial fiscal and economic matters and intergovernmental finance relations, including cost-shared programs.
- Administers fiscal arrangements and tax collection agreements with the Federal Government as well as tax credit programs with the federal government and municipalities.
- Provides information and education to the public about investing.
- Issues Investor Alerts to warn the public about investment scams.
- Establishes rules and provides information to businesses looking to raise capital by selling securities.
- Licenses individuals in the securities and real estate industry.
- Informs and assists residents of Manitoba on the Manitoba income tax and tax credit programs.
- Monitors all claims to ensure accuracy, corrects inaccurate claims and recovers ineligible amounts previously claimed by taxpayers.
- Regulates the rates charged by Manitoba Hydro (electrical utility), Manitoba Public Insurance (auto insurance), gas and propane utilities (Centra Gas and Stittco) and all water and sewer utilities outside Winnipeg;
- licences funeral directors under The Prearranged Funeral Services Act;
- regulates the construction and operation of natural gas and propane pipelines, and
- registers brokers of natural gas under The Public Utilities Board Act.
- Provides information on retail sales, health and education, corporation capital, tobacco, fuel, mining, credit unions and caisses populaires profits taxes and emissions tax on coal.
- Provides financial and analytical support and advice to the Minister of Finance and Treasury Board.
- Treasury Board is a sub-committee of Cabinet responsible for the overall fiscal management and reporting of the Manitoba government and the establishment of policies required for the effective management of public funds to meet government objectives.
- Manages and administers the cash resources, borrowing programs, and all investment and debt management activities of the government.