Header Side Menu Content Footer
Government of Manitoba
Family Services
Get Started
Stay Connected
to the Manitoba Government

To view PDF files, you must have a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as a free download:

Get Adobe Reader

Quick Escape


Adoption of a Permanent Ward

AdoptionChildren become eligible for adoption through Child and Family Services either because birth parents have consented or because the Court has determined that the parents are unable to care for the child. Where possible, social workers with Child and Family Services involve birth parents in planning for their child.

There is particular recognition given to preserving the unique heritage and cultural ties of aboriginal children.
Family service and adoption workers with Child and Family Services agencies get to know the children who come into their care. Where children will not be able to return to their families, it will be determined whether adoption or long-term care is in the children's best interest. If the child is old enough, he or she helps to make this choice.

Adoption Financial Assistance

Following adoption placement of a permanent ward, financial assistance is available for families who adopt a child with special needs that require special services or for families who are adopting more than one child from the same family.
There are three types of financial assistance:
  1. One-time start-up costs, such as for transportation, equipment, or necessary changes to the adoptive family's home.
  2. Costs of special services for a child who has been diagnosed with special needs.
  3. Ongoing maintenance payments to help with the daily care of a child with special needs or who is in a sibling group. The amount is based on the applicants' income and family size.
Adoptive families might be eligible for all three types. Assistance may be available until the child reaches age 18 and may continue even if the family moves to another province.
Woman and girl

Adoption Placement

All children eligible for adoption and approved adoptive applicants are registered with the Central Adoption Registry. Children may be placed with an applicant anywhere in Manitoba. In a situation where more than one applicant is suitable to adopt a child, the child will be placed with the applicant with the earliest application date.
Because the child's needs are the main considerations in adoption planning, Child and Family Services social workers look for the most suitable family for the child, rather than finding a child for the adoptive family.
The adoption social worker will share with adoptive parents a social and medical history, as well as information about the child's behavioural, intellectual and emotional development. All non-identifying information that is known will be shared with you.
Before the child is placed with you and depending on the age of the child, you will visit with the child and foster family the child lives with to help everyone get to know each other. During this time, your child becomes familiar with the new surroundings before moving into your home.

Supervisory Period

After the adoption placement day, there is usually a six- to twelve-month period before the adoption is legalized in Court. This gives you some time to adjust and to deal with any issues that might arise. The adoption social worker will continue to provide support and counsel to your family.
After this post-placement period, Child and Family Services applies to the Court of Queen's Bench for an Order of Adoption on your behalf. The result is that your child is legally considered just as if he or she were born to you. Counselling and support can be provided beyond that time if required by the needs of you and your child.
As adoptive parents, you may register with the Post-Adoption Registry on behalf of your child to share identifying information or have contact with birth family members up until your child turns 18. Following that date, adopted persons can register for themselves.

For more information...

If you would like more information on adoption, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the adoption department of a Child and Family Services agency. A worker will explain adoption to you in detail, and answer any specific questions you may have.
Share This