Header Side Menu Content Footer
Government of Manitoba
Family Services
Get Started
Stay Connected
to the Manitoba Government

To view PDF files, you must have a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as a free download:

Get Adobe Reader

Quick Escape

Post-Adoption Registry

I need more information | Open Birth and Adoption Records **New
Description The Post-Adoption Registry provides non-identifying information, search and reunion services to eligible family members who were involved in an adoption that was granted in Manitoba. The Registry is operated by the Child Protection Branch of the Department of Family Services.

Searches can be done on behalf of anyone entitled to register, subject to any disclosure or contact vetoes on file. The Registry will not search for any person who is not yet 18.

Due to volume and complexity, searches may take a year or more to complete.

The Registry will not facilitate contact without the consent of all concerned. If a family member decides not to share information, refuses contact or files a veto, their wishes will be recorded with the Registry and the person seeking the information will be informed.
Support services are available to help prepare for a reunion or understand why a reunion may not be possible.
Adopted adults, birth parents and adult birth siblings can register at any time.
Adoptive parents may register on behalf of an adopted child. As a best practice, signed consent from an adopted child age 12 and older must accompany the adoptive parents’ registration form.
However, once the child turns 18, the adoptee may either register on his or her own, or request that the adoptive parents' registration remains active by sending the Registry a signed consent. If the adoptee is an adult, adoptive parents may register only with the adoptee's signed consent.
In the event that the adoptee is deceased, the adoptive parents and any adult adoptive siblings may register on behalf of their deceased child or sibling.
Applying In order to register you must complete a registration form and have your signature witnessed by a lawyer, Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Public.
If you live in Manitoba and would like more information about the Registry or would like to obtain a registration form, contact a Child and Family Services agency or office near you. If you live outside of Manitoba, contact the Registry directly.
Area served Manitoba
Hours 8:30AM – 4:30PM, Monday through Friday
Languages English, French
Fees There are no fees for Registry services. However, there is a fee (usually $25 to $50 for each search) for the cost of obtaining information from Vital Statistics, if necessary. Individuals receiving income assistance benefits do not have to pay this fee.
Access Wheelchair accessible
Telephone 204-945-6964
TTY 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service)
Fax 204-948-2949 or 945-6717
Address Manitoba Post-Adoption Registry
2nd Floor - 777 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3G 0N3
A disclosure veto prohibits the release of any identifying information about the person who filed the veto.
A contact veto prohibits parties to an adoption from knowingly contacting or attempting to contact the person who filed the veto in any way. Anyone who contravenes a contact veto can be fined up to $20,000.
On March 15, 1999 new legislation came into effect called The Adoption Act.

Adoptions granted in Manitoba before this date prohibit the release of any identifying information without the consent of both parties.
Adoptions granted in Manitoba after March 15, 1999 have a greater degree of openness. This allows eligible family members to obtain identifying information once all parties are 18 unless a disclosure veto has been filed with the Registry.
Treaty Status – Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada – As an adoptee, if you would like to find out if you are eligible for Registered Indian Treaty Status, you need to contact the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC). The Department will determine whether you are entitled to Registered Indian status. You will need to make an official enquiry and supply them with the Adoption Order, and any other information they require, for them to conduct an investigation. You do not need your birth mother’s name or band number – the Department will able to search for your eligibility without it.
Alternatively, you can send a copy of the Adoption Order along with a written request for more information on your possible treaty status to the following address:
Indian Registration and Band Lists
Registration, Revenue and Band
Governance Branch
Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Ottawa ON K1A 0H4
ATTN: Adoption Unit
Share This