What can you do if your landlord owes you money?

You can file a claim for compensation at the Residential Tenancies Branch.

When you file a claim, the Branch schedules a hearing to consider your request. A hearing is a meeting where you and the landlord give information to a hearing officer. The hearing officer then decides whether or not the landlord owes you money and how much they owe. The officer also gives a deadline for paying the money. The officer sends you a letter called an Order with their decision.

If the landlord doesn’t pay you by the deadline in the Order,you can file and enforce the Order in the Court of Queen’s Bench.

To file a claim, you must complete a claim form. The Branch supplies these forms. To view a form, click on the boxes below.*

Once you complete the claim form, you can send it to the Branch along with the $50.00 filing fee. The Branch will then schedule a hearing and return the claim to you to give to the landlord.

*The Branch has custom-made claim forms for each of its offices. If you’d like to have a claim form to complete on your computer system, please let us know. You can e-mail us at rtb@gov.mb.ca and we’ll send you the appropriate electronic version of the form.

The Tenant Claim package (in PDF)

   This package includes the following documents:

    • Instruction Sheet
    • Application Form
    • Information Sheet
    • Offer to Settle