Working with consumers and businesses to ensure a fair marketplace for all Manitobans.

Renter rights

Know your rights and your landlord's responsibilities

If you're moving in a new apartment or other type of rental unit, you probably have a lot of questions. What are your responsibilities? What are the landlord's responsibilities? What happens if something in your apartment needs repairing? What if you accidentally damage something? What if you're late paying the rent? What if you want to end your tenancy?

Renting | Renter Rights - Consumer Protection Office

If you need information about these types of things, or if you're having a disagreement with your landlord about your rental, contact the Manitoba Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB). The RTB enforces the Residential Tenancies Act and the accompanying regulations, which are designed to protect both tenants and landlords. The RTB provides information, conducts investigations, and works with landlords and tenants to resolve disputes. They can help you with information on:

  • rent increases
  • security and damage deposits
  • condition reports
  • repairs
  • pets
  • subletting
  • right of entry and privacy
  • leaving your rental unit
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact:

Residential Tenancies
Tourism, Culture, Heritage, Sport and Consumer Protection
302 – 254 Edmonton Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3Y4

Phone: 204-945-2476
In Winnipeg: toll free 1-800-782-8403
Fax: 204-945-6273
In Brandon: 204-726-6230; toll free 1-800-656-8481
In Thompson: 204-677-6496; toll free 1-800-229-0639

Initiatives in this Category