Fairer Cellphone Rules for Manitobans
Cellphone legislation gives you greater consumer rights for your cellphone and puts Manitoba in the forefront of consumer cellphone protection.
The rules focus on ensuring that contracts are clear and provide all important information for consumers. They also ensure that cell phone contracts are fair to both consumers and businesses. The legislation:
- Requires companies to provide a copy of the contract to consumers before the contract begins;
- Requires companies to fully disclose and explain all charges fees and terms;
- Restricts companies from making unilateral changes to contract terms;
- Allows consumer to cancel contracts at any time, for a reasonable cancellation fee;
- Requires the minimum monthly cost to be included in advertisements; and
- Restricts automatic cell phone contract renewals.
More Information on Manitoba’s Cell Phone Contract Laws
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Helpful Information
- Information on Cancellation Fees
- News Release: Province Proclaims New Cellphone Legislation to Protect Consumers (April 23, 2012)
- Top Five Consumer Benefits
- New Cell Phone Legislation
- Consultation Paper
- The Consumer Protection Act – Cell Phone Contracts
- Cell Phone Contracts Regulations
Questions or problems with your cell phone contract?
If you have questions about the new rules, or you have a problem with your cell phone contract, you can contact:
- 1-800-782-0067 (toll-free)