The Consumer Protection Office administers consumer protection legislation for the province of Manitoba. The statutes include: The Consumer Protection Act, The Business Practices Act, The Personal Investigations Act, The Charities Endorsement Act, The Hearing Aid Act and The Bedding, Upholstered and Stuffed Articles Regulation under The Public Health Act. In the course of our duties, we:
- Licence and regulate payday lenders
- Licence companies and individuals that direct sell
- Licence collection agents and register collectors
- Certify hearing aid dealers
- Authorize charitable fund raising
- Register manufacturers and renovators of stuffed articles
The Consumer Protection Office hears, mediates and investigates consumer-related complaints. When the Office receives a complaint, it considers the rights and responsibilities of each party. Not all matters are covered by legislation. In those situations, the Office offers an opportunity to resolve the problem through a voluntary process of dispute resolution/mediation.