Requirements for prepaid purchase cards
(including gift cards and gift certificates)
Important information for consumers and issuers or sellers of prepaid purchase cards
Manitoba’s new prepaid purchase card requirements came into effect November 1, 2007.
Expiry dates are not allowed except:
- if the card is issued or sold for a specific good or service (ex: a manicure)
- if nothing of value is exchanged for the card at the time of issue (ex: cards issued for promotional or charitable purposes, or as part of a reward or loyalty program)
Fees are not allowed except:
- a fee to replace a lost or stolen card
- a fee to customize a card (ex: a personal photograph on the card)
The following information must be provided when a prepaid purchase card is issued or sold:
- all restrictions, limitations and conditions on the use of the card
- a description of how the holder can obtain information about the card
What happens if there is a problem?
- If a card has an expiry date not allowed by legislation, the card will be considered to have no expiry date.
- If a fee not allowed by legislation is charged to a cardholder, the cardholder is entitled to a refund of that fee.
- If any business fails to comply with legislated requirements on expiry dates, disclosure of information or limits on fees, that business may be required to pay an administrative penalty ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.
For more information or assistance, or if you wish to file a complaint, contact:
Consumer Protection Office
302-258 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0B6
- Telephone (Winnipeg and surrounding area): 204-945-3800
- Toll-free in Manitoba: 1-800-782-0067
- Fax: (204) 945-0728
- Email: email@example.com