Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

Mandy Mine

 Mandy Mine - plaq0713

Installed 1975
Flin Flon Town Park
Flin Flon

In 1916 Mandy Mine became the first productive copper mine in Manitoba. Discovered in 1915 by F.C. Jackson, an engineer with the Hudson Bay Railway, and S.S. Reynolds, an experienced prospector, it was developed by Mandy Mining Co., a subsidiary of Tonopah Mining Co. of Nevada. Using the first diamond drill in Manitoba, the company found an extremely rich ore containing 20% copper, with silver, gold and sulphides. Between 1916 and 1920, over 17,000 tons of ore were transported by horse and wagon to Sturgeon Landing, on barges to The Pas, and by rail to a smelter at Trail, B.C.

This brief but spectacular success prompted further exploration and investment in the development of  Manitoba's mining potential.