Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

Red River Settlement

 Red River Settlement - plaq0978
(Courtesy of the Archives of Manitoba)

Installed 1962
La Vérendrye Park, Taché Avenue
St. Boniface
Winnipeg

Near this site the Red River settlement was formally proclaimed. On September 4, 1812, with a guard of honour under arms, Miles Macdonell took possession of Assiniboia, the lands granted by the Hudson's Bay Company to the Earl of Selkirk. Macdonell, the first governor, was attended by officers and servants of the North West Company from Fort Gibraltar which lay across the Red River. The Patent and Macdonell's commission were read in French and English.