Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

St. Norbert

 St. Norbert - plaq1158

Installed 1958
St. Norbert Provincial Heritage Park
and PTH 75
St. Norbert

The first inhabitants of this region were former employees of the fur companies who settled here, with their Metis families, between 1822 and 1825 and whose main occupation remained for many years the buffalo hunt and Red River cartage. In 1857 Msgr. Taché erected the territory as a parish which he named St. Norbert in honour of Msgr. Norbert Provencher, first Bishop of St. Boniface. Here was organized, under Louis Riel and Msgr. Ritchot, the movement of resistance of 1869–1870.