Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

St. Paul's Middlechurch, 1825

 St. Paul's Middlechurch - plaq1160

Installed 1975
Balderstone Road, off PTH 9
Winnipeg

To accommodate the increasing population of Red River Settlement, Reverend David Jones of the Church Missionary Society built a second Anglican church here at Image Plain. It opened for worship on 30 January, 1825, with a congregation of mixed races and faiths. Known as the "Middle Church" because of its location between St. John's and St. Andrew's on the Red River, it was consecrated St. Paul's on 6 January, 1853.

Damaged by flood in 1826 and 1852, it was first replaced by a large structure in 1844, and the present edifice between 1876 and 1880.