Victoria Day is Monday, May 20
- How do you calculate general holiday pay? How much do employees get paid for working on the day of the general holiday? What are the restrictions on retail businesses’ hours of operation on Victoria Day?
For the answers to these and other questions, check out the General Holiday and Sunday and Holiday Shopping Hours fact sheets
The Guide to Employment Standards in Agriculture provides an overview of the standards that apply to different sectors of agriculture.
If you are a temporary foreign worker hired to work in the agricultural industry in Manitoba, please see A Guide to Workplace Rights and Protections for Foreign Farm Workers In Manitoba, Canada or, in Spanish: Guía de Derechos y Protecciones Laborales para Trabajadores Agrícolas Extranjeros en Manitoba, Canadá.
- If you are a temporary foreign worker hired to work in the agricultural industry in Manitoba, please see A Guide to Workplace Rights and Protections for Foreign Farm Workers In Manitoba, Canada or, in Spanish: Guía de Derechos y Protecciones Laborales para Trabajadores Agrícolas Extranjeros en Manitoba, Canadá.
A Quick Guide to Employment Standards
- Download all Fact Sheets (620.977 bytes)
Effective October 1, 2012, minimum wage is $10.25 an hour
About Employment Standards
Employment Standards staff help employees and employers learn about their rights and responsibilities in the workplace.
- answer questions
- explain the legislation
- investigate workplace disputes to ensure the legislation is being followed
- give presentations and workshops
Common employment standards issues include:
- minimum wage
- general holidays
- ending employment
This website has information about The Employment Standards Code, The Construction Industry Wages Act, The Remembrance Day Act, The Retail Businesses Holiday Closing Act, and The Worker Recruitment and Protection Act. It also has some information about the Labour Adjustment Services we offer to help workers and employers find solutions to downsizing, closures and layoffs.
In the Fact Sheet section you will find answers to questions that employers and employees ask most often. The How we Can Help and A Quick Guide to Employment Standards pages are great places to start your search for information.
Employment Standards staff are also available to explain the legislation.
Contact Employment Standards
For more information call our inquiry lines:
Telephone: 204-945-3352 or
Toll free in Canada 1-800-821-4307