Section 1 General Issues
Sub-Section 1.15 Tenancy Applications


s.16, The Human Rights Code
s. 3, 6, The Personal Investigations Act


Application forTenancy: a form that a landlord may ask a potential tenant to fill out. An application form:

  • gives the landlord information to help the landlord decide if the person has the ability to pay the rent;

  • usually asks for information about current and previous landlords, character references, employer or source of income, and who to contact in case of emergency;

  • sometimes contains terms that create a tenancy agreement once the person is accepted as a tenant (this can happen when no other written document is signed);

Co-signer : a person who signs a tenancy agreement along with the tenant and agrees to be responsible for the obligations of the tenant. For example: the obligation to pay rent and to pay for damages, etc.

Guarantor: a person who signs a separate agreement and attempts to guarantee that a tenant will meet the specific obligations set out in the guarantee itself. For example: to be responsible for paying the rent.


A landlord may ask a potential tenant to complete an application for tenancy before entering into a tenancy agreement. This personal information can only be used in connection with the tenancy. For example: for considering the tenant’s application to rent or for contacting the tenant’s relative in case of an emergency.


In most cases, a landlord will also ask for a security deposit when a tenancy application is filled out.


The landlord should let the tenant know, as soon as possible, whether or not they are accepted. A tenant may withdraw their offer to rent a unit, but only if they do it before the landlord tells them their application is accepted.


The Personal Investigations Act states that to do an investigation the landlord must either:

  • get the tenant’s written consent before doing an investigation; or
  • notify the tenant in writing that an investigation was done, within ten days of granting or refusing tenancy.


The landlord may ask for a co-signer or a guarantor. For example: A landlord might ask for a co-signer or guarantor when:

  • the tenant’s ability to pay rent is questionable; or
  • the tenant doesn’t have a previous rental record.


The Branch only provides information on tenancy applications. The Branch does not decide whether or not a landlord has the right to refuse a prospective tenant’s application for tenancy.



This policy is included as information for landlords, tenants and officers. If a tenant and landlord aren’t able to solve a problem with a tenancy application on their own, they can ask the Branch for information.

Steps ▼

1.If a landlord or tenant have questions about a personal investigation, the officer refers them to:

Consumer Protection Office
302-258 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg MB R3C OB6
204-945-3800 or Toll-free 1-800-782-0067
Fax 204-945-0728

2.If a landlord or tenant have questions about discrimination, they may contact:

The Manitoba Human Rights Commission
700 - 175 Hargrave St. Winnipeg MB R3C 3R8
204-945-3007 or Toll free 1-888-884-8681
Fax 204-945-1292

Brandon: Room 341 - 340-9th Street,
Brandon MB R7A 6C2
204-726-6261 Fax 204-726-6035

The Pas: 2nd Floor – Otineka Mall
P.O. Box 2550, The Pas MB R9A 1M4
204-627-8270 Fax 623-5404

Toll Free in Manitoba: 1-888-884-8681


Forms & Form Letters


For more information on co-signers, see Co-signers and Guarantors in Section 2.

Policy Developed

September, 1992

Last Revision

May, 2015

Other Resources


Previous |Next


Return to the Guidebook Table of Contents

The contents of this page are subject to this standard warning note