Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 75

McGregor House
NW 2-11-20 WPM
Kemnay area

McGregor House
Designation Date: January 14, 1992
Designation Authority: Daly (R.M.)
Present Owner: Privately owned

The McGregor House, also known as Gwenmar, is an excellent early example of an ambitious Bungalow-style dwelling in a rural setting, a design well suited to the structure’s original role as a summer home. The building’s generous proportions, horizontal emphasis and rustic wood shingle and stucco exterior are matched by an interior that blends casual style and comfort, including large main-floor living spaces integrated with a wraparound verandah and sunroom. This site also recalls the contributions made to Manitoba by its original occupants, the pioneer family of James Duncan McGregor, a prominent cattle producer, co-founder of the Brandon Winter Fair and lieutenant-governor of Manitoba (1929-34).