Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 121


Union Bank Building
(Royal Bank Building)
39 Maple Avenue E,

Union Bank Building

Designation Date: February 15, 1995
Designation Authority: The Village of Hamiota
Present Owner: Hamiota (M)

The structure now known as the former Royal Bank Building was originally constructed as the Union Bank in 1898. In 1925 the Union Bank was absorbed by the Royal Bank, which operated from this facility until 1977. Originally three storeys in height, the top floor of this buff-coloured brick structure was destroyed by fire in 1928. The second storey was then converted into an apartment for the bank manager and his family.

This straightforward design was popular for many storefront commercial structures, which lined the main streets of Manitoba's towns and villages from the mid-1880s into the mid-1900s. The façade of the building has a large plate glass window on the ground floor and corbelled brick work below the second floor cornice. The interior features original oak woodwork and skylights.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List