Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 127


LaPlont Block
924 Rosser Avenue,

LaPlont Block

Designation Date: July 24, 1995
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Present Owner: privately owned

The LaPlont Block was designed and constructed ca. 1886 by F.J. Chubb, a Brandon contractor, for its owner J. LaPlont. LaPlont operated a barbershop and cigar store from the block until 1900 when he sold the building to the Confederation Life Association which occupied it until 1902. Mutter and Lynch Grocers rented the building for their retail business, then subsequently purchased the block in 1905. In 1907 the store was renamed Mutter Brothers Grocery Store and was operated by the Mutter family until the business closed in 1976. Many of the store’s original furnishings and fixtures are on display in Brandon’s Daly House Museum.

The two-storey LaPlont Block was designed in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. That popular style was characterized by round arched openings, towers, decorative brick and rusticated stone finishes. The block’s brick façade is highlighted with heavy stone arches on the second floor. Small, semicircular stained-glass panels are inset across the top of the second-storey arched windows. Decorative end-pieces highlight the cornice above the first floor and roof line.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List