Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 137


Smellie Bros. Co. Store
(Dale’s of Russell)
300 Main Street, Russell

Smellie Bros. Co. Store

Designation Date: April 25, 1996
Designation Authority: The Town of Russell
Present Owner: CD Brown Ltd.

In 1897, brothers A.G.P. Smellie and Dr. T.S.T. Smellie formed Smellie Bros. & Co. For years, Smellie’s was the centre of a local commercial empire, with eight branch stores and five creameries. This building was constructed in 1906, greatly enlarging an 1885 structure. The store is an interesting example of commercial design. To capitalize on its corner lot, the entrance is placed at the intersection of the streets, and is then angled to gain maximum exposure to passers-by. The entrance is further enhanced with large flanking display windows and classically inspired detailing above. That classical detailing is carried further, to the round-headed windows and encircling cornice.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List