Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 156


Andrew Kowalewich General Store
Lot 13,

Andrew Kowalewich General Store

Designation Date: September 25, 1997
Designation Authority: The R.M. of Ethelbert
Present Owner: privately owned

In 1899 the Burrows Lumber Company opened a mill and the Village of Garland was inaugurated. Entrepreneurs were quick to seize the commercial opportunity that the burgeoning community offered. One of these enterprising souls, Andrew Kowalewich, opened his store in 1913. Renting it out in 1916 to pursue other business endeavours, he re-entered the retail business in 1934, with his sons, to operate Kowalewich Bros. General Store. The store closed in 1979. The building is a good example of the modest general store, once common in small Manitoba communities, but now fast disappearing.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List