Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 268


St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church
SE 10-23-2 E
Vidir area

St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church

Designation Date:  July 13, 2005
Designation Authority:  R.M. of Bifrost
Present Owner:  Arborg & District Multicultural Heritage Village

Built in 1921, St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church, the first parish church built by Ukrainian settlers in the Bjarmi area north of Arborg, is a modest-sized vernacular example of early ecclesiastical architecture in the Interlake region. Its design, based on a cruciform plan with short arms, recalls in a humble, simplified manner the ancient Byzantine traditions found in the more elaborate churches of the settlers’ homeland, more specifically among churches in the Ternopil plains region of western Ukraine.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List