Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 17

Emerson Town Hall and Court House
l04 Church Street,

Emerson Town Hall and Court House
Designation Date: May 1, 1985
Designation Authority: Honourable Eugene Kostyra,
Minister of Culture, Heritage and Recreation
Present Owner: Municipality of Emerson-Franklin

This splendid example of a small Neo-Classical style municipal building was designed by the John D. Atchison Company of Winnipeg. Erected during 1917–18 by general contractors Grey and Davidson, it remains one of the outstanding buildings in Emerson. This was the last court house built during the great settlement boom of 1880 to 1920.

The many uses of this structure—town offices, a court room, registry office, a gaol, and theatre—has ensured an economical building for a small and important regional centre. The building was officially opened on July 29, 1918. The Emerson Journal considered the new edifice, with its Ionic columns, to be a "crackerjack and a credit to the town and community."