Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 33

St. Peter's Dynevor Anglican Church Rectory
1147 Breezy Point Road,
R.M. of St. Andrews

St. Peter's Dynevor Anglican Church Rectory
Designation Date: February 26, 1988 Designation Authority: Honourable Judy Wasylycia-Leis,
Minister of Culture, Heritage and Recreation
Present Owner: St. Norbert Foundation

The rectory for St. Peter's Anglican Church was built from 1862–65. It was constructed for Reverend Abraham Cowley (1816–1887), the English missionary responsible for the Aboriginal congregation of the Parish of St. Peter’s. Between 1896 and 1957 the rectory functioned as a Federal tuberculosis hospital for Aboriginals. The hospital was the only such facility devoted to Aboriginal health care established in Manitoba. In 1962 the property, including the old rectory, was reoccupied by the Anglican Church and became home for St. John's Cathedral Boys' School.

The rectory is one of only a few remaining stone houses from the Red River Settlement era. Five others are concentrated along River Road, south of Lower Fort Garry. These structures are a product of the Georgian architectural tradition of eighteenth century Britain, which produced buildings of symmetrical composition enriched with classical detail. In Manitoba, such houses represented the pinnacle of Red River domestic architecture.