Building Sustainable Communities Program - Frequently Asked Questions

If I need help completing the application, whom can I contact?

Municipal Relations
Community Development Branch Offices

Central Region
Box 50075, A - 536 Stephen Street
Morden MB R6M 1T7
Ph:  204-822-2933
Fax: 204-822-2847

Interlake Region
Room 103, 235 Eaton Avenue
Selkirk MB R1A 0W7
Ph: 204-642-6014
Fax: 204-785-5155

Eastern Region
Box 50, 20 1st Street South
Beausejour MB R0E 0C0
Ph: 204-268-6020
Fax: 204 268-6070

Parkland Region
Ph: 204-761-5912
Fax: 204-726-6583

Northern Region
Room 114, 59 Elizabeth Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 1X4
Ph:  204-679-8331
Fax: 204-677-6817

Midwestern Region
Rm. 335, 340 9th Street
Brandon MB R7A 6C2
Ph: 204-726-6068
Fax: 204-726-6583

Manitoba Municipal Relations
6th floor - 800 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3G 0N4
Ph: 204-470-2364
Fax: 204-948-4042

Western Region
Rm. 335, 340 9th Street
Brandon MB R7A 6C2
Ph: 204-726-6069
Fax: 204-726-6583

General Support


Toll-Free Calling


back to top

How much funding is available for larger capital projects?

For capital projects with eligible project cost of over $150,000 (larger capital) a maximum provincial contribution of 50 per cent of eligible project costs incurred to complete the project has been increased to a maximum grant of up to $300,000.

The current maximum grant of 50% of eligible project costs up to $75,000 would continue to apply for all other project categories.

back to top

What do I need to do to confirm that my non-profit organization is active and in good standing?

For incorporated, non-profit organizations, you can submit your current annual return of information or a Certificate of Status from the Companies Office. For non-incorporated, non-profit organizations, you may be asked for copies of information, such as:

  • financial statements
  • meeting minutes
  • constitution and bylaws
  • membership and executive structure

There is no need to submit these with your application. However, you may be asked to produce this information.

back to top

What is considered a planning project under the Building Sustainable Communities Program?

A planning project is one that focuses on the development of a plan that helps communities or regions to make decisions about priorities for future development. This would include land use and development plans, economic development plans, community development plans, strategic plans and recreation master plans.

back to top

What is considered local government under the Building Sustainable Communities Program?

Municipalities (including local authorities such as planning districts) and communities designated under The Northern Affairs Act are considered local governments.

back to top

Is a letter of support from my local government required for my Building Sustainable Communities application to be considered for funding?

A letter of support from the local government (e.g. Municipalities - City, Town, Rural Municipality or Northern Affairs Community Council) is not required. However, letters of support are suggested for your own benefit to ensure that local governments are aware of community development projects taking place in their communities and neighbourhoods. If a project involves municipally owned land and/or facilities, additional supporting documentation may be required.

back to top

When can I expect to receive the funding for my project?

For projects that span one fiscal year (April 1 to March 31):

  • Sixty per cent of approved funds will be issued after the signed project contribution agreement is received.
  • Forty per cent of approved funds will be issued after final reports have been submitted and accepted.

For projects that span two fiscal years:

  • Sixty per cent of approved funds will be issued after the signed project contribution agreement is received.
  • An interim payment of up to 30 per cent of approved funds may be issued at the end of the first fiscal year provided you request and complete the reporting requirements as outlined in the contribution agreement.
  • Up to 40 per cent of approved funds will be issued after final reports have been completed and accepted.

back to top

What do I do once my project is complete?

A final report is required within 60 days of project completion or by the final deadline listed in the project contribution agreement, whichever is sooner. All reporting requirements, as outlined in your project contribution agreement, must be completed in full. Final payment will not be issued until all reporting requirements have been approved by the Manitoba government.

back to top

Can an organization apply for more than one project?

Yes, an organization can apply for multiple projects. If applying for more than one project, to make the process easier, you only need to complete all of section A on your first application. On subsequent applications, you only need to add your organization’s name in section A, provided the contact person is the same for each project. Sections B and C must be completed in full, for each project.

back to top

Can I start my project before receiving approval?

You can start your project prior to receiving approval however project expenses incurred before April 1, 2022 are not eligible.

back to top

Can a community be awarded more than one grant?

Yes. All applications are assessed individually, on their merit.

back to top

How are projects approved?

Applications are reviewed and assessed by department officials, in consultation with other government departments. The Association of Manitoba Municipalities will be involved in reviewing and providing feedback on project applications. Officials responsible for the Program have the authority to assess each application on its individual merits and will exercise their discretion in project approvals.

back to top

What is the required matching funding under the BSC Program?

The BSC Program requires applicants to match eligible BSC project funding on a 50% basis including 10% from non-government funding sources for all projects except planning projects. This means no more than 50% of total eligible project costs may be sourced from provincial funding. Provincial funding includes support provided by any provincial department or agency including Manitoba Hydro, organizations funded by the Province such as School Divisions, as well as the Trails Manitoba Grant Programs.

back to top

Back to top