Aquatic Invasive Species Banner

How You Can Help Stop Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS)

To protect Manitoba's waters and valuable aquatic resources from the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS) such as Zebra Mussels, you can help:

  • Learn how to identify aquatic invasive species.
  • Learn about, and how to comply with, the:
  • Learn how the AIS Regulation pertains to:
    • watercraft (e.g., canoes, sailboats, Jet SkisŪ, power boats, paddle boards),
    • water-related equipment (i.e., equipment that come into contact with surface water, for example, watercraft trailers, docks, nets, anchors, ropes, bait buckets, PFDs, fishing lures, docks, inflatables (e.g., mattresses, rafts, mats, towables, tubes),
    • off-road vehicles (i.e., ORVs),
    • aircraft (e.g., float planes).
  • Learn how all surface water-users play an important role in protecting our water bodies - year-round - from AIS by learning:
    • about the AIS open-water season and the winter (ice-covered) season requirements for watercraft and water-related equipment,
    • about the open-water season requirements for water-related aircraft,
    • which areas of Manitoba are AIS Control Zones,
    • what decontamination steps (i.e., Schedule C of the Manitoba government’s AIS Regulation) are required for water-related equipment that:
      • cannot be dried completely before being placed into another water body, or
      • was last used in an AIS Control Zone and before it is placed into another water body,
    • what additional decontamination steps (i.e., Schedule B of the Manitoba government’s AIS Regulation) are required for a watercraft that was last used in an AIS Control Zone and before it is placed into another water body,
    • bait must be disposed on land before leaving the shore of an AIS Control Zone, for more information on bait,   
    • the locations and operating times of the Watercraft Inspection Program,
    • if you require a Transportation Authorization when removing your watercraft and water-related equipment from the water body if you cannot remove the AIS before leaving the shore.

Learn about Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)’s Import Prohibitions and Requirements for Commercial Importers of Aquatic Species and for Travellers Under the (Federal) Aquatic Invasive Species Regulations.

In summary, when entering Canada:

  • only worms in paper bedding can be imported as bait.
    • it is illegal to import Zebra Mussels, Quagga Mussels, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, Black Carp or Grass Carp into Canada.
    • watercraft, water-related aircraft (i.e., float planes) and water-related equipment must “cleaned of aquatic plants, animals, mud and debris; drained of water; and dry upon arrival at the border crossing.”
  • Learn that you require a permit if you want to remove Zebra Mussels from a shoreline such as in front of your cabin. Learn more here.
  • Do not release any aquarium or water garden plants, animals or water into any Manitoba water body or storm sewer.
  • Report new AIS sightings to the Aquatic Invasive Species hotline at 1-87-STOP AIS-0 (1-877-867-2470) or online here:
  • Note the exact location and date of the sighting. Take several pictures of the specimen. The pictures will be used to help with identification.
  • Inform your friends and family on how they can help prevent the spread of AIS.