I need help now

Quick Escape

Third-Party Reporting (TPR) of Sexual Assaults in Manitoba

Third-party reporting (TPR) of sexual assault incidents is available in some areas of Manitoba. TPR offers victims of sexual assault (16 years and older) the option of reporting the details of their case anonymously to partnering police agencies (Winnipeg Police Service, Brandon Police Service, RCMP) through a community-based agency. The agency becomes the `third party' that holds identifying information about the survivor. The agency provides the TPR to the police, but does not share the victim's identifying information.

What is Third-Party Reporting?

TPR can be an option for survivors of any gender who may not otherwise report a sexual assault to police. For some people, TPR can facilitate post-sexual assault healing processes as a reporting option to help survivors feel empowered and in control of what happens next. The agency receiving the TPR will also offer support and other types of assistance.

The TPR process provides police services with information about the crime and offender, without identifying the survivor to police. Police can use this information to track trends or patterns that could identify repeat offenders.

It is important to know that police cannot lay charges based on a third-party report. A TPR is not a substitute for providing a formal statement to the police.   

What happens when a Third-Party Report is made?

When police receive a TPR, they will review the information provided. If the police begin an investigation, they may contact the agency who submitted the TPR and request to speak with the survivor. The agency will then contact the survivor, let them know the police reached out and explain their options. If the survivor agrees to be contacted by the police, the agency can either share the victim’s contact information with the police, or the victim can contact the police themselves and speak to the assigned officer.

Are there Situations where an Assault Survivor cannot remain Anonymous & Police, or other Authorities, must be informed?

Yes. A victim’s identity cannot remain anonymous in some situations. When the incident involves any of the following factors, police and/or Child and Family Services (CFS) have to become formally involved: 

  1. Advocate agencies must report information to CFS for any sexual assault of a minor.
  2. Advocate agencies must report information to CFS if the assault took place when the adult survivor was a minor, and the offender currently has access to children.
  3. While advocate agencies are not obligated to inform the police of sexual assault within past or present intimate relationships, if police become aware of the nature of the relationship, they are required to initiate an investigation.

How to make a TPR?

In Manitoba, several agencies are able to receive TPRs on behalf of the Winnipeg Police Service, Brandon Police Service or the RCMP. The below agencies will receive TPRs from anyone in Manitoba. If they assault took place in a community policed by a service not currently participating in TPR, the agency will store/archive the third-party report.

If the incident took place in Winnipeg, you can provide a TPR to one of the following agencies who will refer your TPR to Winnipeg Police Service:

  • Klinic Community Health:
    To book an in-person or over-the-phone appointment: 204-784-4049
  • Ka Ni Kanichihk - Heart Medicine Lodge Program: 204-953-5820
  • Mount Carmel Clinic - Sage House: 204-943-6379
  • Pluri-elles (in French): 204-233-1735

If the incident took place outside of Winnipeg but within a jurisdiction the RCMP polices, the following agencies can receive a TPR with delivery assurance to the RCMP:

  • Klinic Community Health: 1-888-292-7565
  • Ka Ni Kanichihk - Heart Medicine Lodge Program: 204-953-5820
  • Survivor’s Hope Crisis Centre (North-Eastern Manitoba): 1-204-753-5353

If the incident took place in Brandon, the following agencies can receive a third-party report and will refer your TPR to Brandon Police:

  • The Women’s Resource Centre: 204-726-8632
  • The John Howard Society of Brandon: 204-727-1696

It is important to remember that:

  • The questions asked throughout the TPR form are not meant to offend, criticize, or blame the victim for the incident. Questions are only asked to gather as much information as possible.It is up to the survivor to decide what information they include on the form.
  • If the survivor is under 18 years old, the advocate agenccy that received the report must call Child and Family Services to report what happened.
  • For survivors who want to participate in TPR from a provincial jail, it is important that they clarify with the institution whether contacting the advocate agency they wish to provide a third-party report to is a privileged call. All non-privileged calls are subject to recording. 

Definition of Important Terms:

Anonymous: No identifying information (e.g., name, date of birth, address, phone number).

Anonymously: Without identifying Information (e.g., name, date of birth, address, phone number).

Community: A specific geographic area.

Intimate Partner: A person with whom someone has or had a close personal relationship. The relationship could be characterized, for example, by an emotional connection, or ongoing physical contact or sexual behaviour. Partners may identify as a couple, or refer to each other as spouse or partner.

For more info on sexual assault resources in Manitoba, please visit: