Emergency Medical Services in Manitoba
Emergency medical services (EMS) provide pre-hospital care to people who are sick or injured. EMS are a key component of the health care system. Pre hospital care includes timely and safe medical assessment, treatment, and transportation services to citizens and communities in Manitoba.
Manitoba’s EMS system operates within the broader provincial healthcare delivery system. It is a core health service of the regional health authorities and Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living.
Key services in the emergency medical services system include:
- emergency medical dispatch
- emergency medical response and medical care (land and air)
- emergency medical transport
- inter-facility medical transportation
- Land Ambulance
- Stretcher Service
- Specialized – Critical Care Air transport (Fixed Wing and Helicopter)
- Basic Air Ambulance
Manitoba’s EMS have evolved from numerous independently and municipally-operated ambulance services to a model where Manitoba’s five regional health authorities are now responsible for all land ambulance service delivery. Services are delivered either directly by the regional health authority, or through contracts with affiliate agencies, private sector stretcher service companies, and air ambulance providers.
Since the formation of the regional health authorities in 1997, Manitoba has implemented several new initiatives and changes to emergency medical services including:
- centralized, provincial fleet vehicle program that purchases and manages a standardized ambulance fleet of more than 175 ambulances
- medical transportation coordination centre to provide coordinated medical dispatch services in rural and northern Manitoba
- legislation and regulations that increase the standards for emergency medical services
- introduction of legislation supporting stretcher services
- increasing the standards of care
- increasing the scope of care paramedics can provide
- introducing college based Primary and Advanced Care Paramedic education programs at Red River College
- implementing a helicopter emergency medical response system providing rapid response to critical emergencies, improved access to patients in difficult to access areas, and critical inter-facility patient transfers.
To learn more about Manitoba EMS click on one of the following links:
- Learn about the 2013 Manitoba EMS review and process for implementation.
- Learn about licensing processes for land EMS, air EMS and stretcher car personnel. This page includes all information and forms to obtain, or renew an EMS personnel licence.
- Learn about this initiative to support new EMS personnel that accept full time positions in rural or northern Manitoba.
- View legislation that affects emergency medical services in Manitoba.
- Learn about Patient Care Maps, Medications, Procedures and Regulation and Administration which provide a framework and reference point for care provided by Manitoba EMS personnel.
- Learn about the ambulances that are provided to Manitoba EMS licensed services by the province.
- Learn about air ambulance services available in Manitoba.
- Learn about a medical travel subsidy program available to those living in designated northern and remote communities of Manitoba.
- View historical response times for rural and northern Manitoba.
|For more information, please contact:
|Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living - Emergency Medical Services
Unit #7 - 1680 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3H 0Z2