Section 2

Tenancy Agreements

Sub-Section 2.6

Payments Not Allowed Under The Act


s. 14, 57, 137, The Residential Tenancies Act


Deposit: includes a security deposit, a pet damage deposit, a tenant services security deposit.

Tenancy agreement: a contract between a landlord and a tenant that sets out the basic rules for living in a rental unit. It can be written, oral or implied.


A landlord can’t collect extra money from tenants, in the form of fees or deposits:

  • before a rental application will be processed;
  • before keys will be given to the tenant;
  • before gas, water or hydro service will be hooked up;
  • before garage door openers will be given to the tenant;
  • for providing an original rent receipt when a tenant pays their rent in cash; when a tenant pays rent by automatic debit or pre-authorized remittance, the Branch considers it a cash payment;
  • for having visitors stay for extended time periods; or
  • for finding a new tenant for an assignment or subletting except as noted below.

A landlord can ask a tenant to pay extra for:

  • the paperwork involved in an assignment or sublet, to a maximum of $75.00. The landlord may only charge the fee if they actually consent to the assignment or sublet on the tenancy agreement form;
  • special visitor parking arrangements;
  • replacing a key or garage door opener the tenant has lost;
  • providing extra copies of keys which can’t be duplicated for security purposes;
  • providing a rent receipt if the tenant or the tenant’s source of income pays their rent by cheque or money order; or providing a duplicate rent receipt if the tenant loses the original receipt; or
  • voluntarily "buying out" of a tenancy agreement before it expires.



This policy is included as information for tenants, landlords and officers. If tenants and landlords aren’t able to agree whether a fee may be collected, they can ask the Branch for help.

Steps ▼

1.The officer encourages the landlord and tenant to share information, and to discuss the problem, to try to come to an agreement.

2.When a tenant or landlord asks the Branch for help with an additional payment problem, an appropriate officer follows the procedures for:

Forms & Form Letters



Policy Developed

September, 1992

Last Revision

May, 2015

Other Resources




Return to the Guidebook Table of Contents

The contents of this page are subject to this standard warning note