Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 208


Millford Cemetery
NE 34-7-16W (cemetery) & SW 3-8-16W (cairn),
Treesbank area

Millford Cemetery and Townsite

Designation Date: March 13, 2001
Designation Authority: R.M. of South Cypress
Present Owner: Glenboro-South Cypress (M) (cemetery) & private ownership (cairn)

The town of Millford was established in 1879 on the slopes of the Souris River. Colonel R.Z. Rogers, a real estate promoter from Ontario, had surveyed the site and commissioned construction gangs to erect scores of buildings: houses, stores, grist mills and saw mills. The community, however, was doomed by the placement of the Canadian Pacific Railway, which by-passed the town in 1881. Without that service Millford faded away. By 1890, it was largely deserted. A large stone cairn marks the site of the original town and one of Manitoba's most attractive cemeteries holds the graves of Millford residents.

Return to Municipal Heritage Sites List