Header Side Menu Content Footer
Government of Manitoba
Manitoba Justice
Get Started
Stay Connected
to the Manitoba Government

To view PDF files, you must have a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as a free download:

Get Adobe Reader

Family Law

Maintenance (Support) Where the Other Person Lives Outside of Manitoba

The Inter-jurisdictional Support Orders Act

Under a law called The Inter-jurisdictional Support Orders Act (ISO) a person seeking to obtain or vary a support order involving a person who lives outside Manitoba has access to a process in Manitoba that can result in a support or variation order being made in the other person's jurisdiction, without making a court application in Manitoba.

How does this process work?

A person is required to complete a package of forms. Once completed, the forms are sent from a designated authority in Manitoba to the counterpart agency in the jurisdiction where the responding party lives. The court in that jurisdiction will consider the application and the respondent's evidence before making a support or support variation order. It's important to note that this law is not in effect in Quebec or other countries, so you may need to provide the court with additional material if the other person lives outside Canada or in Quebec. Please contact Manitoba Justice Family Law Branch for more information: in Winnipeg 945-0268; toll-free outside Winnipeg, in Manitoba 1-800-282-8069 (Ext. 0268).

Which forms do I need to use?

If you are not sure which forms to use, the "Choosing Which Forms To Use" fact sheet will assist you. Click here to view and print.

Where do I get these forms?

You may click here to view and print the forms.

Please note: Court offices do not have these forms available for you.


What information do I need in order to complete the necessary forms?

To assist the claimant/applicant in completing the package of forms, each form has a corresponding instructional guide that describes the form and explains what information is needed. See ISO Forms, Instructional Guides and Summary of Forms below.

Where do I get the Child Support Guidelines?

The Child Support Guidelines are rules for how to calculate the amount of child support. There are federal guidelines, and ones for each of the Canadian provinces and territories. Many foreign countries also have their own version of the guidelines. Click here to access the Child Support Guidelines Tables. (URL address is: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/sup-pen/pub/guide/index.html#01) In most cases, the Guideline Table for the province or territory where the paying parent lives will apply.


Share This