Our objectives are:
- Promote gender equality and the equal participation of all women in society
- Improve the economic, legal, social and health status of women
- Contribute to ending exploitation and violence against women
We work to:
- identify the needs and concerns of Manitoba women
- raise awareness of issues affecting women
- partner with community organizations and other government departments to promote gender equality
- bring the concerns and aspirations of women to the provincial government and ensure they are integrated into government programs, policies and legislation
Women's History Month 2016
October is Women's History Month, please see more information in the poster below.
Break the Silence on Violence Against Women
The Manitoba government and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are working together to help end violence against women.
Everyone has role to play to speak out about violence against women and work together to create a culture where violence is unacceptable. Visit the Stop the Violence webpage for more information and to help Break the Silence on Violence Against Women.
UN Safe Cities
Winnipeg has been selected as the first city in Canada to join the UN Global Safe Cities Initiative to reduce sexual violence against women and girls.
The Safe Cities Initiative will generate innovative approaches to preventing and reducing harassment and sexual violence against women and girls in public spaces.
Manitoba Status of Women is partnering with UN Women, representatives from the Winnipeg Police Board, Winnipeg Police Service and community groups on this initiative. This steering committee will identify which locations in Winnipeg require targeted efforts to address this serious crime.