Complaint Process

In some situations, you may have a concern about a service provided by a funeral director or cemetery. If you cannot resolve the matter directly, you can contact the Board.

Should you wish to discuss the matter informally, the Board will try to mediate a satisfactory resolution.

If your issue is more serious, you can file an official complaint to the Board through a written request, detailing the matter and providing copies of any related documents to: Funeral Board of Manitoba, 254 Portage Ave, Winnipeg MB, R3C 0B6.

The Board may then call a hearing relating to your complaint. After a hearing, the Board can:
  • dismiss the complaint;
  • direct an apology;
  • set a fine;
  • suspend or cancel a licence; or
  • determine other disciplinary action
In any case, the Board will provide a written decision to you.

In some cases, you may want to seek legal advice.

Complaint Form