SAFETY ALERT: If you are in danger, please use a computer in a safe place, or call 911. You can leave this site quickly by clicking on Quick Escape.
Note: Any visit to a website is recorded in your browser history. If you have experienced family violence and are using a computer that is shared with your abuser, use extreme caution to clear your browser history when you are finished visiting this site. If you do not know how to clear your browser, search the help available for your particular browser or use a public computer if possible.
Teen Dating Violence
- physical: pushing, kicking, slapping, hitting, biting, or any type of physical aggression
- sexual: unwanted or forced sexual touching, kissing, or intercourse
- psychological: name-calling, insults, making threats
- cyber stalking: threatening or abusive e-mails or text messages, threats or abusive comments on social networking sites, tracking your Internet or cell phone use (more information on Cyber Stalking is available).
What are the warning signs?
- bullies you
- wants to make all the decisions
- blames you for everything that’s not right in the relationship
- uses guilt to make you do what he or she wants (ex: “If you loved me, you would…”)
- hits, punches, twists your arm, bites or is physically abusive in any way
- abuses alcohol or drugs and pressures you to take them
- calls you names, yells at you, insults you or gives you the silent treatment
- tries to touch you in ways that make you uncomfortable, and continues after you say no
- intimidates and threatens you
- follows and watches you (stalking)
- stops you from spending time with family and friends
- becomes very jealous and checks up on you all the time (asking where you are and who you’re with)
- takes, steals or controls your money or possessions without your permission
- makes fun of your beliefs
- posts nasty messages or pictures, spreads rumours, shares personal information about you on the Internet or a cell phone, or social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter
For more help, call:
Kids Help Phone
1-800-668-6868 (toll free)
1-888-322-3019 (toll free)
1-877-435-7170 (toll free)