Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Children’s disABILITY Services pamphlet (PDF 266KB)

I think my child may have a disability or developmental delay, who should I contact?

Visit your family doctor or your child’s doctor and explain your concerns. Children develop in the same basic ways, but some develop more slowly than others. Some children may need additional support to help them develop. If your child needs support, your doctor may make a referral to a clinic for further information and assessment.

My child has been diagnosed with a disability. How do I connect with the Children's disABILITY Services (CDS) Program?

Contact the Children’s disABILITY Services regional office for your community. You will be asked for basic information, including your name, address and telephone number. Basic information about your child will also be requested, including diagnostic information if known. You will also be asked what type of assistance you are looking for. This information will be used to begin the process of determining eligibility for Children's disABILITY Services.

What if my child already has a diagnosis and I have the assessment information?

You can call the Family Support Services office at 204-945-8311 to find out a referral to Children’s disABILITY Services has already been made for your child. If a referral has not been made, you may apply to Children’s disABILITY Services by completing a Referral and Intake Application form and submitting it to the Family Support Services office with your child’s assessment information.

I recently moved or am thinking of moving to Manitoba. Who do I call and what information will I need?

You can call the regional office for the community that you have moved to or plan to move to. You will be asked for some basic information including your name, address and telephone number. You may also be asked to complete a referral form. As part of the referral process, you may be asked to provide documentation from a qualified professional as it relates to your child’s diagnosis.

Are there limits to these services?

The level of service and support provided to your family will depend on your particular circumstances and the needs of your child. If the circumstances of your family change, services could also change.  Your Community Services Worker will be available to discuss the needs of your family and the availability of services and supports.

For more information about Children's disABILITY Services, please contact regional office for your community. 

Where can I find more information on services for people with disabilities in Manitoba?

The Information for Manitobans with Disabilities website is a helpful resource for parents and caregivers to find information on supports and services for children and adults with disabilities. This website is organized into user-friendly fact sheets that focus on a range of disability-related topics.

Is there a Children’s disABILITY Services program pamphlet available?

Yes.  Please click on the PDF file link to the Children’s disABILITY Services pamphlet.

What is the Protecting and Supporting Children (Information Sharing) Act? How does it help Children’s disABILITY Services plan and provide services for my child?

Enacted in 2017, The Protecting and Supporting Children (Information Sharing) Act (PSCISA) allows service providers and government departments to collect, use and share personal information about supported children and their parents or legal guardians without their consent, when it is in the best interest of the child and necessary to plan and provide services or benefits for the supported child. Children enrolled with Children’s disABILITY Services are “supported children” under the PSCISA.

Children’s disABILITY Services is committed to keeping parents and legal guardians informed about the use of their families’ personal information. The Acknowledgement of the Use of Personal Information and Personal Health Information form is used to help parents and legal guardians understand how and when information may be shared to plan and provide services for their children. Children’s disABILITY Services and the Department of Families will continue to maintain confidentiality over personal and personal health information, in accordance with The Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act and The Personal Health Information Act. 

For more information about The Protecting and Supporting Children (Information Sharing) Act, visit the following links:

For alternate format requests, please contact the Department of Families Accessibility Coordinator:

Department of Families
Accessibility Coordinator
205 - 114 Garry Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4V4
Phone: 204-945-3744
For general inquiries contact Manitoba Inquiry