Disability Supports for First Nations People Living On-Reserve
What disability supports may be available for First Nations people living on-reserve?
Disability supports for First Nations people living on reserve are provided through the Government of Canada. The following websites have information on some of the supports that may be available.
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)
These sites have information on INAC programs:
- Assisted Living Program – www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/hb/sp/alp-eng.asp
- Income Assistance Program – www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/hb/sp/iap-eng.asp
- Education Programs – www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100033601/1100100033605
These sites have information on Health Canada programs:
- Non-Insured Health Benefits – hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/nihb-ssna/index-eng.php
- Home and Community Care Program – hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/services/home-domicile/index-eng.php
- Family Health – hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/famil/index-eng.php
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)
- Office for Disability Issues – www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/disability_issues/mandate/index.shtml
Other services and supports may also be available, depending on the resources in each community.