Archives of Manitoba
Keystone Archives Descriptive Database Help
2. a) Listings (includes digital images and audio/video files)
Search Listings for a brief description of files and items in the holdings of the Archives of Manitoba. You can also search listings for digital copies of some records, including digital images and audio/video files.
Listings may include:
- paper files
- bound volumes, such as minute books or accounting ledgers
- maps and plans
- architectural records
- sound, film or video recordings
- documentary art
Choose one or more of the following search options:
- You may enter any number of keywords. A keyword search will undertake a full text search of text fields within the database.
- You have two options for modifying a keyword search:
- All of these keywords: This is the default option. Choosing this option will return database hits that include all of your search terms.
- Any of these keywords: Choosing this option will return hits that include any, but not necessarily all, of your search terms.
- You can truncate your search using *. This will locate words that have a common stem. Example: Entering farm* will match farm, farming, farmer, farmers etc.
- Common words will be ignored. These include: the, a, an, in, of, and, these
- Check the ‘digital copies’ box if you would like to limit your search to archival records that have been digitized.
- Choose a format:
- You may limit your search to a particular format (e.g. photographs, architectural drawings or maps). Choose an option from the pull-down menu.
- Listings Location Code:
- You may search for a particular file or item by entering its location code here.
- Digital Image Number:
- If you have a digital image number, enter it into this field to find the specific image.
- Accession Number:
- You may search by an accession number associated with an accrual to a series or fonds of records. Examples include:
- GR0172 (government)
- PR2008-44 (private)
- HB2007/108 (Hudson’s Bay Company Archives)
- Note that accession numbers are always recorded for government records; but not always for Hudson’s Bay Company or private records.
- Archives Unit:
- You may wish to narrow your search by the area of the Archives which acquired and maintains the records:
- Government Records
- Hudson's Bay Company Archives
- Private Records
- You may limit your search to records that were created during a particular time period. You may limit your search to a year (e.g. 1920) or a range of years, separated by a dash (e.g. 1939-1945).
What do my listings search results mean?