If you think a child is being harmed or neglected,
contact CFS at 1-866-345-9241.
Note: If this is an emergency, contact your local police emergency number.
- Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care Commission
- Child Care Commission report and The Task Force on Educational Outcomes (PDF 328KB)
- Options for Action: An Implementation Report for The Legacy of Phoenix Sinclair: Achieving the Best for All Our Children
- Fixed Rate Contract Review of Temporary Staffing - December 2014
Family Services completed a review of the services provided by private contractors in the child and family services system.
- The Legacy of Phoenix Sinclair - January 2014
- Circle of Care Fostering Fostering: Enhancing Supports to Foster and Kinship Care Families - June 2011 (PDF 62 KB)
The province will strengthen the child welfare system by introducing enhanced supports for foster families through a two-year Foster Family and Kinship Care Strategy. Circle of Care: Fostering Fostering is a strategy to support the complex network of foster and kinship care families through several initiatives such as enhanced communications that includes plain language documents for foster parents and kinship care givers about the complexities of the child welfare system.
- A Report on the Independent Review of Cathedral Valley Group Home - January 2010 (PDF 1.58 MB)
In June 2008, the province commissioned an independent review of the Cathedral Valley Group Home to gather information on the full extent of the conditions that existed in the Cathedral Valley Group Home when it was active in the 1970s and 1980s and to recommend any appropriate resources for healing of its former residents. The Cathedral Valley Group Home was opened in January 1971. It was run by a private operator from whom government and other agencies purchased services.
- Audit of the Child and Family Services Division, Pre-Devolution Child in Care Processes and Practices - December 2006 (PDF 16.64 MB)
- "Strengthening our Youth" Their Journey to Competence and Independence - November 2006 - (PDF 362 KB)
- Changes for Children: Strengthening the Commitment to Child Welfare Response to the External Reviews into the Child and Family Services System - October 2006 (PDF 118 KB)
- A special case review in regard to the death of Phoenix Sinclair - September 2006 (PDF 17 KB)
- Strengthen the Commitment: An External Review of the Child Welfare System - September 2006 (PDF 2.2 MB)
- The Child Death Review: A Report To the Minister of Family Services & Housing Province of Manitoba Review - June 2006 (PDF 528 KB)
- Children's Advocate Shelter Review Report - March 2004
The Children's Advocate report reviewing the Winnipeg Child and Family Services Emergency Shelter Response System and the Department's response and action plan to address the recommendations.
Achieving the Best for All Our Children
The Hon. Ted Hughes O.C., Q.C., LL.D. (Hon), Commissioner
- Dealing with Domestic Violence or Family Violence? (PDF 235 KB)
Learn how you can stop domestic violence.
- Early Learning and Child Care Services in Manitoba
An overview of Manitoba's licensed child care system.
- Family Choices: Manitoba's Five-Year Agenda for Early Learning and Child Care
The 12 points of action in Family Choices set an ambitious agenda to maintain and improve early learning and child care in Manitoba.
- First Choice (PDF 138 KB)
This pamphlet provides information about the First Choice Program, a brief, confidential evaluation process designed to help families find solutions to parenting issues, including custody and access, and to provide recommendations for child-focused planning.
- Grandparent and Family Access pamphlet (PDF 820KB)
This pamphlet provides information about services that can help families find solutions to child access issues, the laws that apply to grandparent and other access requests, court processes that can help parties reach agreement and services to assess children's needs.
- Moving Forward on Early Learning and Child Care - Manitoba's Action Plan - Key Objectives
Describes how Manitoba intends to invest new federal funds to meet the targets set out in the five-year plan and to further develop Manitoba's early learning and child care system.
- The Social Services Appeal Board
How to file an appeal if you disagree with a decision concerning your application for adoption licensing, child care subsidies, child care licensing and other programs.
- Introducing: Reporting of Child Protection and Child Abuse
A fact sheet introducing the new handbook, which provides detailed guidelines on how to recognize and report child abuse and children in need of protection
- Child and Family Services Standards Manual
Provincial standards for child and family services and adoption services in Manitoba.
- Guide for Grandparents and Extended Family Members Applying for Access
To assist grandparents and other extended family members learn about their legal rights, the resources available to them and the process of applying to court to gain access to minor children in situations involving parental separation, divorce or death.
- Journey of Support Manual
A Direct Service Worker Action Guide to provide orientation, information and resources to assist the Direct Service Worker or Disability Support Worker in supporting individuals with a disability and his or her family.
- Protocol on Children and Families Moving Between Provinces and Territories
Protocol signed by provinces and territories to ensure that families will not face barriers to service when moving within Canada.
- Reporting of Child Protection and Child Abuse: Handbook and Protocols for Manitoba Service Providers
A resource for those involved in identifying, reporting and dealing with a child in need of protection, including child abuse.
- The Roles, Responsibilities and Functions of a Board - A Board Development Guide
(PDF 512 KB)
Prepared by the Department for the boards and staff of provincially funded social service agencies; the guide is not intended to be a detailed procedures manual, but to provide awareness of the basic responsibilities and functions expected of a governing board and its members.