Licences and Permits

Apply for a Business Licence

Check out BizPaL

BizPaL (Business Permits and Licences) is a free online tool that provides information on the permits and licences you may need, from all levels of government, to start and grow your business in Manitoba.

City of Winnipeg Community Services -- Business Licences

Licence Services
Main Floor - 395 Main Street
Winnipeg MB  R3B 3N8 (corner of Main Street and McDermot Avenue)
Phone: 311


Apply for a building and/or occupancy permit

Contact the City of Winnipeg or your local municipal office to find out if you need a home or building occupancy permit.

More resources:

Planning, Property and Development
City of Winnipeg
Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street
Winnipeg MB  R3C 4X7
Phone: 204-986-5140 or 311


Apply for a direct sellers/vendors licence

You may be required to obtain a provincial direct sellers/vendors licence if you are planning to sell door-to-door, advertise in the form of business cards, flyers, on a vehicle, etc. Apply for registration in Manitoba as a manufacturer, renovator or home hobby/craft operator of bedding and other upholstered or stuffed articles.

Consumer Protection Office
Winnipeg: 204-945-3800 | Toll free: 1-800-782-0067


Register for tax accounts


The Retail Sales Tax (RST or PST) is a tax applied to the retail sale or rental of most goods and certain services in Manitoba.  Any person carrying on a business in Manitoba (except for small businesses with annual taxable sales under $10,000) must have a valid RST/PST number.

Manitoba Finance, Taxation Division
Winnipeg: 204-945-6444 | Toll Free: 1-800-564-9789
Brandon:   204-726-6578 | Toll Free: 1-800-782-0318


The goods and services tax (GST) is a tax that applies to most supplies and services in Canada.  A business whose total taxable revenues before expenses are $30,000 or less in the last four consecutive calendar quarters are not required to register.

Canada Revenue Agency
Toll Free: 1-800-959-5525


Business taxes

Contact the municipality where you plan to open your business.

Corporation Capital Tax

Contact Manitoba Finance

Sole Proprietor

As a sole proprietor, you may have to pay your tax by instalments.  You may also need to make instalment payments for Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions on your own income.


Maintain business records

You are required by law to keep records of all your transactions to support your income and expenses. Tax documents must be kept for the current year plus six years. Other documents may have other retention periods.  It is best to consult with an accountant, lawyer, HR professional, industry professional, or ARMA International for further guidance.



In addition to insuring your property and business assets, consider other forms of insurance such as liability, disability, business interruption, errors & omissions, inventory and bonding.


Importing and Exporting

There are several factors you must consider when importing or exporting, including

  • import/export controls
  • packaging and labeling requirements, and
  • international trade agreements

More information:
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Toll Free: 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada)

World Trade Centre Winnipeg
Winnipeg: 204-253-4888

Top of the page