Section 20 - Board and Room Allowances

20.1.1 Parent and Child Rates


Board and room rates for a parent with a dependant(s) shall be calculated as follows:
  • Parent - Single rate as per board and room rates listed below;
  • Eldest child - Couple rate as per board and room rates listed below;
  • Each additional child - The following age-based rates are added to the basic needs portion of the budget:
0 - 6 years $84.90
7 - 11 years $111.30
12 - 17 years $135.40
Board and room rates are as follows:
  1. for board and room (general):
    1. single person in the home of a relative: actual cost up to $252. per month,
    2. single person in a private boarding home: actual cost up to $331. per month,
    3. for a couple, add $195. per month to the amount paid under subclause (i) or (ii), as the case may be;
  2.  for board and room (special) — for persons requiring care or supervision, or both:
    1. single person, actual cost up to $589 per month
    2. for a couple where one person requires special care, add $166 per month to the amount paid under subclause (i):
    3. for a couple where both persons require special care, add $321 per month to the amount paid under subclause (i):
    4. single person whose living arrangement requires restaurant meals may be granted up to $277 per month plus cost of room instead of room and board,
    5. children boarding in foster homes and institutions: foster home or institutional rates as approved by the director,
    6. in exceptional circumstances the director may approve the payment of actual costs in excess of the maximums stated in subclauses (i) to (v),
    7. maintenance in a licensed institution for care of the aged and infirm: the daily rate approved by authorized governmental authority,
    8. maintenance of a recipient of income assistance living with a mental disability, the aftermath of mental illness, or the infirmities associated with age, in a licensed or approved residential care facility at a level of care needed by the recipient and provided at the facility and as determined by the designated departmental staff, shall be at the following rates:
Level 1 care up to $589. per month

Level 2 care up to $659. per month

Level 3 care up to $728. per month

Level 4 care up to $798. per month

Level 5 care up to $870. per month

but a recipient in a licensed or approved residential care facility owned by a relative of the recipient is only eligible for income assistance under Schedule A, section 4(a) of this section and is not eligible for any further allowance under this paragraph.

20.1.2 Maternity Homes

Unmarried expectant mothers in maternity homes shall receive the board and room rate up to the actual daily rate. The rate shall not exceed the maximum assistance for "care and supervision" as provided for in Schedule A, section 4(b) of the Regulation unless a government approved per diem rate has been established through the assessment and recommendation of Manitoba Family Services.

20.1.3 Excess Board and Room Rates

Schedule B, section 4(g) of the Regulation gives the director and designate discretion in the approval of Board and Room rates exceeding the maximums established in Schedule B, section 4(a) to (f). That is, room and board rates where care and supervision is required, excluding level of care rates in residential care facilities.

20.1.4 Per Diem Charges in Personal Care Homes, Companion Care Homes Palliative Care Hospices Chronic Car Facilities, and Mental Health Centres


A per diem residential charge of $37.90* shall be paid on behalf of income assistance participants in personal care homes, companion care homes, palliative care hospices, chronic care facilities and mental health centres in accordance with the rates approved by Manitoba Health.
A daily authorized charge has been established by Manitoba Health for long-term care patients in psychiatric facilities which shall be paid on behalf of income assistance participants. Authorized facilities may charge the daily authorized charge after a patient has been a resident of the facility for 180 consecutive days. Billings will be accepted from the following facilities authorized to charge the daily authorized charge for long-term care patients in psychiatric facilities:
Brandon General Hospital
  • Centre for Adult Psychiatry
  • Centre for Geriatric Psychiatry of Assiniboine Centre
Dauphin Regional Health Centre
  • Parkland Acute Psychiatry Unit
Eden Mental Health Centre
  • Entire facility
Grace General Hospital
  • Psychiatric Unit
  • Extended Treatment Area
Health Sciences Centre
  • PsycHealth Building
Portage District General Hospital
  • Psychiatric Unit
Selkirk Mental Health Centre
  • Entire facility
Seven Oaks General Hospital
  • Area 5A
  • Psychogeriatric In-Patient Unit
St. Boniface General Hospital
  • McEwen Building
Thompson General Hospital
  • Psychiatric In-Patient Unit, Rooms 208-214
Victoria General Hospital
  • 6th Floor
Where a participant is applying for eligibility for income assistance to defray costs associated with the residential charges in Personal Care Homes, Chronic Care Facilities or one of the above facilities, it is important for staff to apply the Manitoba Health policy for possible full or partial waiver of these charges. According to the policy, a full or partial waiver may be requested if:
  • The participant has a spouse/common-law partner residing in the community and;
  • The participant or their spouse/common-law partner are not eligible for Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement or financial assistance from Employment and Income Assistance and;
  • The combined income of the participant and their spouse/common-law partner is less than $36,071* or;
  • The combined income of the participant and their spouse/common-law partner is less than $36,071* plus an amount of $8,500* for each dependant child.
* These income rates are for the period of August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019. Manitoba Health reviews rates annually.
For status aboriginal persons placed directly from hospital or from the reserve or when the facility is located on the reserve, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) is responsible to cover the payment of the residential per diem charges. When the status aboriginal person is in receipt of income assistance prior to the placement, in an off reserve personal care home, EIA is responsible for payment of the per diem charges.

20.1.5 Rates For Participants in Personal Care Homes During a Temporary Absence from Placement

During temporary periods of absence from personal care homes, the following maintenance costs will be paid:
  1. The full per diem rate is payable during an absence of not more than three days (Social Leave) at any time during the course of one week (a week is defined as commencing on a Monday and ending the following Sunday); those days are not included in the Extended Leave noted below;
  2. The full per diem rate is payable for 21 days annually while the resident is on Extended Leave. Extended Leave is in excess of the three day Social Leave; a resident may take a three day Social Leave and then consecutively start an Extended Leave; the 21 days do not have to be taken consecutively but may be accumulated throughout the year;
  3. If the participant is absent from the personal care home for the purpose of obtaining treatment in hospital, the full per diem rate may be paid for up to 21 days. Under special circumstances the director or designate may approve payment of the full per diem for longer leaves of absence for treatment in hospital.

20.1.6 Temporary Absence from a Private Boarding Home

Where the placing authority and boarding home proprietor agree that a participant's placement should be held during the temporary absence, the full cost of board and room may be paid for up to 14 days. One-third of the full cost may be paid for the balance of a well-justified period of absence.
The period of absence should begin the day the participant leaves and full costs, where more than 14 days have expired, should be reinstated the day the participant returns.

20.1.7 Respite Services and Respite Care

Respite care and/or services may be available to the care provider, which could be the spouse or partner of the applicant, the residential care provider or the parent of a child with disabilities to assist with the provision of continuous care. Recommendations for respite care may involve community service workers, community mental health workers, Home Care coordinators, physicians or other medical/health professionals. The provision of respite care for adults and children in receipt of income assistance may be available through the following resources:


Community Living disABILITY Services (CLDS) - (formerly SLP)
  • Participants assessed as having a mental disability and in need of service may be eligible to receive respite services through the CLDS.
  • Respite Services are intended to provide primary caregivers with short-term supports to assist them with the provision of continuous care to individuals living with a mental disability.
  • The Community Service Worker (CSW) assesses the individual’s need for respite through a “person- centered plan” which may be family focused in nature.
  • Respite services may be implemented through agencies or be self-administered where the primary caregiver/or family, in consultation with the CSW are provided the funds to arrange the respite.
  • Respite is available on an hourly basis, single blocks of time (1-2 weeks), or as out of home-overnight care.
  • Although respite is defined as providing short-term supports, respite can be scheduled on a regular basis.
  • There is no cost to the EIA program for respite services when CLDS is involved.
Respite Care in Personal Care Homes (PCH) or other Chronic Care Facilities
  • The Home Care coordinator, community service worker or a physician may assess short-term respite care.
  • The EIA program is responsible to pay for the minimum rate established annually by Manitoba Health as outlined in section 20.1.4.
Respite Care in Hospital Facilities
  • Occasionally, the Community Service Worker, Community Mental Health Counsellor, Home Care Coordinator or the physician may initiate short-term respite in a hospital facility as this may be the only option available in that particular Region.
  • When requested, EIA may authorize payment equivalent to the PCH per diem charges (see section 20.1.4).


Respite Services for children may be provided at no cost to the EIA Program by a number of programs and facilities such as:
  • Children’s disABILITY Services (CDS)
  • Child and Family Services (CFS)
  • The Health Sciences Centre Children’s Hospital or St. Amant Centre
All requests for EIA to be involved in the payment of respite care other than what is outlined above are to be referred to the EIA Program Specialist for further discussion and review.

20.1.8 Absentee Provisions for Persons with Developmental Disabilities - In Residential Care Facilities

EIA per diem rate payment to community residences for persons with developmental disabilities shall be continued during periods of temporary absence where:
  1. the individual is absent from the residence for a valid cause including summer vacation;
  2. a place in the residence is being held for the individual during his or her absence; and
  3. the individual is absent for a period not exceeding 14 consecutive days.
EIA per diem rate payments to residential care facilities are to be suspended when:
  1. all residents are absent simultaneously (e.g., on a summer vacation or camp program); and,
  2. during their absence, all residents are under the supervision of persons other than the persons whose salaries are supported through the income assistance per diem rate payments.

20.1.9 Levels of Care - Persons with Developmental Disabilities and Mental Illness and Aged Infirm

Legislative Authority

Schedule B, section 4(g) of the Regulation provides for levels of care rates for certain participants who require board and room with supervision or care.

Approving the Levels of Care Rates

All of the following conditions must be satisfied before approving a care rate for an EIA participant or applicant:
  1. the participant or applicant must be categorically eligible for income assistance as a result of mental illness, developmental disability or age; in the latter case the participant must be 65 or over and be infirm;
  2. a Residential Care Rate Authorization form must have been received from the following designated Departmental Personal Service staff:

    Mental Disability
    Level 1 to 3 - Community Services Worker
    Level 4 and 5 - Regional Program Coordinator

    Mental Illness Level 1 to 3 - Community Mental Health Worker
    Level 4 and 5 - Regional Program Coordinator or by the designated official in one of the following institutions:
    Brandon Mental Health Centre - Residential Care Coordinator
    Eden Mental Health Centre - Director of Social Work
    Selkirk Mental Health Centre - Director of Social Work
  3. the form must indicate that the facility is licensed or has a letter of approval (this may be verified by cross-checking with a listing of such facilities that will be forwarded periodically); and,
  4. the facility must not be owned and operated by a relative of the participant.

Payment of Levels of Care Rates

If the above conditions are satisfied, the level of care rates should be approved within the following framework:
  1. The appropriate rate should be made payable in accordance with the established procedures for budget adjustments and the effective date of assistance. However, in the case of a home receiving a license or letter of approval for the first time, the payment should be retroactive to the effective date of the license (providing that the participant was eligible for assistance and was residing in that home from the date).
  2. For participants with a mental illness and developmental disabilities, their respective workers will negotiate the payment arrangements with the care provider; the payment will be in arrears except where such negotiation results in a request for advance payments or where advance payments are already in place.
  3. If there is a discrepancy between the level of care required by the participant and that provided for the facility, the lower level of care should be approved.
  4. The Regulation indicates that the rates are amounts "up to"; however, it is expected that the maximum rate for the level of care should be approved.
  5. Any request to alter the approved rate payable as a result of a change in the participant's circumstances must be made by completing the Residential Care Rate Authorization form (e.g., the level of care required or provided changes, the facility is no longer licensed, the participant moves, etc.).
  6. When the rate payable changes, the participant and appropriate Personal Services Staff Worker should be notified in accordance with established procedures.

Absentee Provisions

See section 20.1.6 "Temporary Absence from a Private Boarding Home".
It should be noted that EIA is not responsible for payment when residents vacate the facility without proper notice or when a resident's belongings are not removed after the resident has departed.

Mental Health Participants Receiving Special Level of Care Rates Prior to October 1, 1982

This section applies to those mental health participants who were receiving special levels of care rates in accordance with amendment 59/79 to the EIA Regulation.
Prior to adjusting the level of care rate to coincide with the October 1, 1982 Regulation amendment, the conditions for approving the rate, as outlined above, must be satisfied; that is, a Residential Care Rate Authorization form must be received and if the form indicates that the rates should be approved the budget adjustment should be made as outlined in the above section on payment procedures.
If the form indicates that the participant is not eligible for the level of care rates due to residing in a facility that is not licensed or does not have a letter of approval, no rate adjustment will be made; the participant will continue to receive the board and room rate payable at the time of the Regulation amendment until such time as the participant's circumstances change or the facility becomes licensed. This provision is authorized by Schedule B, section 4(g) of the Regulation.
If the participant moves to another facility which is not licensed or approved, no special level of care rate applies and the rate in Schedule B, section 3 and 4 of the Regulation will apply.
Pending the receipt of the reassessment by the Personal Services staff, the rate in pay at the time of this regulation amendment should remain in pay unless the circumstances of the participant change, such as if the participant moves or is in receipt of additional financial resources.

20.2.1 Children's Board and Room Rates

Where children are enrolled under section 5(1)(f) of The Manitoba Assistance Act and are residing in a household not receiving income assistance, board and room is to be calculated as follows:
  • First child -Single rate as per Schedule B, section 3 or 4 of the Regulation;
  • Second child -Couple rate as per Schedule B, section 3 or 4 of the Regulation;
  • Subsequent children - Age-based rate as follows:  
    0 - 6 years $104.90
    7 - 11 years  $111.30
    12-17 years $135.40
Care and supervision board and room rates established in Schedule B, section 4 of the Regulation do not apply to children enrolled under section 5(1)(f) of the Act. Such children would normally require the close involvement of a child caring agency.

20.2.2 Definition of "Relative"

For purposes of determining the rate for the provision of board and room, with or without care and/or supervision, or for care in a residential care facility, the term "relative" refers to a provider in any of the following relationships to the participant:
  • daughter or son
  • mother or father
  • grandmother or grandfather
  • granddaughter or grandson
  • sister or brother
  • aunt or uncle
  • niece or nephew

20.2.3 Part - Time Board Rates for Children

Part-time board and room rates for children who are away from home for purposes such as education shall be calculated on a per day basis from the standard income assistance board and room rates.

20.2.4 Institutional Rates for Children / Absentee Provisions

If any child of an EIA participant requires residential care, Children's disABILITY Services pays the per diem rate to non-governmental facilities. While the child is absent from the institution, some EIA expenses may be required, such as diapers or transportation.