Employment Standards

Employment Standards staff help employees and employers learn about their rights and responsibilities in the workplace.

Minimum Wage

Minimum wage is $11.00 per hour effective October 1, 2015.

The Security Guard minimum wage is $12.50 per hour effective October 1, 2016.

Construction minimum wage rates for the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) and Heavy sectors are contained in the Regulations to The Construction Industry Wages Act.


Changes to Provincial Nominee Program:

Manitoba Provincial Nominees - Employer Direct (http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/information-for-employers/ ) is a new centralized service for employers looking to hire or retain workers, including foreign workers. *Recent changes no longer require Employer Registration applications for employers seeking to hire and retain Manitoba Provincial Nominee employees.* The enhanced processes aim to minimize the time it takes employers and nominees to navigate the hiring system while continuing to ensure nominees are being hired ethically and are not charged for their jobs (including any Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Employer Compliance Fees or fees for the Provincial Nominee Work Permit Support Letter).

Please see the Immigrate Manitoba website for further information on the enhanced processes for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program. 

All Other Foreign Workers – The process for employers seeking to hire or retain foreign workers under the Temporary Foreign Workers program has not changed.  Employers are still required to make an Employer Registration application under the Worker Recruitment and Protection Act.  For more information, please review Employment Standards’ factsheets.  


Tax Season:

Often during tax season you may be looking for your Record of Employment or T4. The Federal Government is responsible for these documents. For more information about Record of Employments, please contact Employment Insurance at:

Employment Insurance

Unit 122, 393 Portage Avenue

Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 3H6

Toll free: 1-800-206-7218

Web: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/index.shtml

For more information about T4s, please contact Canada Revenue Agency at:

Toll free: 1-800-959-8281

Web: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/slps/menu-eng.html


Other Updates:

NEW Fillable application for Child Employment Permits now available!

Domestic Violence Leave, Long-Term Sick Leave for Serious Injury and Illness, and extended Compassionate Care provisions, are now in effect. 

Check out our  Investigations  page for updates on our activities in the following areas:

  • Volunteering and Training
  • Probationary Period and Termination
  • Working Before a Shift Start Time