For Internationally Qualified Applicants

Start Here

To work as an employee in a licensed child care facility in Manitoba, you must have a classification certificate issued by the government. This website provides information about applying for classification.

The level of classification you can receive is based on your education. If you have international education in early childhood education, you may be eligible to be classified as an "Early Childhood Educator". Licensed child care centres and nursery schools must employ a specific proportion of trained staff who are classified as Early Childhood Educators. This classification can provide you with more job opportunities, greater work responsibilities and higher wages.

Regulated Profession

Early Learning and Child Care is a regulated profession in most Canadian provinces and territories. Each province and territory has its own regulator and classification requirements.

Province of Manitoba imageIn Manitoba, the regulator is the Early Learning and Child Care Program, which falls under the Department of Families. The child care system in Manitoba is separate from the Education system. If you are a teacher looking for certification to work in a school, please contact Manitoba Education and Training.


To work as a child care employee in a licensed child care facility in Manitoba, you must:

  1. Be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Landed immigrant (permanent resident)
    • Temporary foreign worker*

    Contact your immigration office to ensure that you meet the immigration requirements:

    *If you are in the process of applying to become a temporary foreign worker, contact ELCC.

    **You do NOT require a letter from ELCC in order to immigrate through MPNP.

  2. Be classified as one of the following:
    • Child Care Assistant (CCA)
    • Early Childhood Educator (ECE) II
    • Early Childhood Educator (ECE) III
exclamation mark

Important Information:

If you are already classified to work in a licensed child care facility in another Canadian province or territory, contact:

Early Learning and Child Care Program
210 – 114 Garry Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4
Phone: 204-945-0776
Toll Free: 1-888-213-4754

Early Learning and Child Care Program 210-114 Garry Street, Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4


Phone: 204-945-0776 Toll-free: 1-888-213-4754 Fax: 204-948-2625 TTY: 204-945-3724

Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m