Do I Need a Licence?

The Classes of Development Regulation lists those activities that require a licence under The Environment Act prior to construction, operation or alteration.

The Dangerous Goods Handling and Transportation Act requires licensing prior to construction, operation or alteration of hazardous waste disposal facilities.

If you are unsure if your proposed activity or development requires a licence please contact us. The licensing process is essentially the same for both The Environment Act and The Dangerous Goods Handling and Transportation Act. The licensing process is a transparent, public process:

Guidance is provided for proponents preparing an Environment Act Proposal:
(Note: Payment of application fees by credit or debit card is available. If you wish to use this form of payment, please notify the Environmental Approvals Branch contact assigned to the project.)

Water and Wastewater Facility Operator Certification Program

Incinerator Registration

Information Bulletins:

What terms and conditions will be in the licence?

Licences are site-specific and are developed through the environmental assessment and licensing process to address concerns raised by the public and the technical advisory committee. They may include requirements for pre-construction, construction, operation, monitoring, reporting, decommissioning and financial assurance. All licences are posted in the online public registry.

***Note: The government is currently experiencing a temporary issue with emails from outside of government that have attached files that are archived/compressed (Zip files) and encrypted/password protected PDF or Microsoft office files.

The government network may block the delivery of these emails. Neither receiver nor sender will receive a notification that the email was blocked. The Environmental Approvals Branch will send a confirmation email within two business days to confirm receipt of emails with attachments. 

If you do not receive a confirmation email, please follow up with an email without an attachment to  or call 204-945-8321 to arrange an alternative method of delivery.