Transporting Hay to the US With Farm Plated Trucks

Requirements vary from state to state, so phone ahead to avoid problems. Consider the following requirements when hauling hay into the United States with farm trucks:



  • Driver's Licence - A U.S. medical certificate is required to drive in the U.S. Forms are obtained in person from the Manitoba Trucking Association (25 Bunting Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba - phone: 204-632-6600). A physical is required before the certificate is granted. There is a $100.00 U.S. fine if caught without one.  
  • Medical Insurance - Obtain out-of-province coverage prior to entering the U.S. This is available at your General Insurance Agent.  
  • Cash - Carry U.S. cash.  
  • Log Books - Log books are required in the U.S. Maximum driving time in the U.S. is 10 hours per day.


  • U.S. D.O.T. no's - For safety regulations, carriers are required to register with the U.S. D.O.T. office:
    • Minnesota: 612-291-6150
    • North Dakota: 701-250-4346
    There is NO fee for farm plated vehicles, although D.O.T. numbers must be displayed on vehicles.  
  • Fuel - Only amber fuel is allowed! The fine for carrying purple fuel can be up to $2000.00 U.S. The amount of the fine varies with the size of fuel tanks. The carrier must register with the I.F.T.A. (International Fuel Trade Agreement) by calling 204-945-3194 or 1-800-782-0318. Fees for I.F.T.A. can be paid annually ($65.00/carrier vehicle) or $0.06/km to a maximum of $18.00/single trip. Display I.F.T.A. decals on your vehicle, and have a copy of your I.F.T.A. licence in the vehicle cab.
  • Fuel - Mileage and fuel logs must be kept, and quarterly reports must be filed.
  • Vehicle Registration - Vehicle must be safetied in Manitoba. Manitoba farmers are fully exempt from registration fees and permits up to 80,000 lbs. (88,000 lbs. in winter months, December - March 7) in Minnesota.
  • Liability Insurance - Manitoba liability insurance minimum is $1 million on tractor trailer units unless carrying dangerous goods. Some states require additional liability insurance on carriers.  
  • North Dakota Hay Permits - Over width loads can apply for a permit by contacting the N.D. Highway Patrol, Motor Carrier Division, 701-328-2621. Permits are available for $10/trip of $50 for season. Loads can then be 12 feet wide, 2 round bales high, or 14 feet high for square bales.  
  • Minnesota Hay Permits - These are available by calling 612-405-6000, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is an annual fee per hay category of $24.00 U.S. or $15.00 U.S. per trip (good for 5 days).

Hay Category ( for Minnesota permits):

  1. Round Bales
    maximum width = 11' 6"
    maximum height = 13' 6"  
  2. Large Squares (3' x 4' x 7')
    maximum width = 8' 6"
    maximum height = up to 15'  
  3. Large Squares (4' x 4' x 8')
    maximum width = up to 12'
    maximum height = 13' 6"  
  4. Small Squares
    legal height, width and length = 13' 6", 8' 6", and 75'

Other Requirements

  • Flagging - Required on over-dimension loads. Red, orange, or yellow flags - minimum 18 inch square visible on front and rear of load.  
  • Round Bales - May only be transported with flat sides facing front to back in Minnesota.  
  • Night Hauling - Round bales may NOT be transported at night. Over-width loads also cannot be hauled at night.  
  • Interstate Highways - Transportation of over-width loads on interstate highways is not permitted in Minnesota, however the state will overrule this clause at certain periods during the year.  
  • Mirrors - Mirrors must extend past load widths.  
  • Strapping - Each row must be side strapped and from front to back.  
  • Weight - Maximum gross vehicle weight on U.S. highways is 80,000 lbs. except during winter months (December - March 7).  
  • U.S. Brokers - J.L. Wood - phone 701-825-6241. Pay commission to broker - $20.00 flat fee per load. Need to know port of entry. Need to know load destination and name of receiver. (If receiver is commercial operation - need tax I.D. number.) Need necessary hay permits.  
  • U.S. Customs - There is NO duty on hay entering the U.S.